Fluffy quinoa gets a fall makeover! This Roasted Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad is full of every fall ingredient I could get my hands on.
I love cooking with quinoa. Not only is it good for you–being a complex carb and all–but I find that it’s much easier to prepare than regular long-grain rice. Here’s the sad truth: I had to invest in a rice cooker.
With quinoa, I don’t have to travel to the depths of the basement pantry to dig out my rice cooker. I just rinse it, toast it, and simmer until light and fluffy. It turns out great every. single. time. Good-bye rice. Hello, quinoa!
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH QUINOA SALAD RECIPE
- 1 small Butternut Squash, About 3 cups, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Chicken Stock, Or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/3 cup Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1/3 cup Thinly Sliced Scallions
- 1/2 cup Roasted Salted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- Salt and Pepper
- Pomegranate Molasses
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the butternut squash on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa to the pan and toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the chicken or vegetable stock and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and cover the pan; cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid. Take the pan off the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for 5 minutes covered. Fluff with a fork.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large serving bowl. Gently fold in butternut squash, cranberries, parsley, scallions, pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, and pomegranate seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the mixture with the pomegranate molasses.
- If you can’t find pomegranate molasses at your local grocery store, you can substitute balsamic glaze.
- If you’re not planning on serving the salad immediately, refrain from adding the molasses and transfer the mixture to an airtight container. The salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Recipe Adapted : ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH QUINOA SALAD @ onesweetmess