Momos are Nepalese small steamed dumplings that can be filled with vegetables or meat. In this recipe I show four different ways to fold the momos.
Chicken Dumplings - Momos
For the dough
- 1 cup (150 g, 5¼ oz) plain or All Purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (80 ml, 2¾ fl oz) water
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
For the filling
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped white cabbage
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Soy sauce
- Black Pepper
How To Make :
Prepare the dough
- Place all the dough ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Knead the dough in your hands to ensure it is well mixed.
- Place back in the bowl, cover and leave for 30 minutes.
Prepare the filling
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium high heat. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the filling and stir-fry for 8-9 minutes until the vegetables are cooked - when the vegetables first start to darken add the soy sauce and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Prepare the momos
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.
- For each piece of dough, roll it out into a thin disc. Place 1-2 tsp of filling in the centre. Wet the edge of the dough with your finger and fold to seal the momo (see video for folding techniques).
- Steam for 10 minutes then serve warm with a sweet chili dipping sauce.
The fillings don't have to be just vegetables. You can use a spiced minced lamb filling instead, or for a really authentic taste why not get some goat or water buffalo!