Chicken yakitori is an easy Japanese grilled recipe served on skewers. The meat is basted with a savory sweet sauce as it cooks over a hot barbecue grill. A quick appetizer for a crowd or dinner served with a few extra sides.
Chicken Yakitori Recipe
Chicken yakitori recipe is an easy Japanese grilled dish served on skewers. The chicken is basted with a savory sweet Asian sauce as it cooks on the hot barbecue.
Servings: 8 skewers
Calories: 309 kcal
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger , minced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds chicken thighs , boneless, skinless, cut into 1” by 1 ¼” pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers , soaked in water for 30 minutes or metal skewers
- kosher salt , as needed for seasoing
- black pepper , as needed for seasoning
- 2 tablspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seedsPowered by Chicory
- In a medium-size pot whisk together soy sauce, water, mirin, rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch.
- Bring mixture to a boil, constantly whisk until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Transfer 1 cup of the sauce to a bowl to use for basting the chicken.
- Thread cut pieces of chicken on skewers. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Drizzle both sides of skewers with a small amount of oil to prevent sticking when cooking.
- Preheat grill over medium-high heat. Clean grill and then use a paper towel dipped in oil to grease the grill.
- Once the grill is hot add the skewers and cook for 4 minutes. Flip over and baste the cooked side with the sauce. Cook 4 minutes.
- Flip skewer over, baste with sauce, cook 2 minutes covered.
- Flip skewer over again, baste, cook 2 minutes covered.
- Repeat flipping, basting and covered cooking 2 additional times, 16 minutes total cooking time.
- Sprinkle chicken yakitori skewers with sesame seeds. Serve chicken skewers immediately with additional sauce.
Recipe NotesHoney may be substituted for brown sugar.
Nutrition Facts Chicken Yakitori Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 72
Total Fat 8g 12%
- Saturated Fat 2g 10%
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.03g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.01g
Cholesterol 85mg 28%
Sodium 1248mg 52%
Potassium 96mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 30g 10%
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Sugars 18g
Protein 21g 42%
- Vitamin C 4%
- Calcium 1%
- Iron 8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.